It is often necessary to send your Inventor design files to colleagues or others on your design team, or to gather all files in one place to create an archive. This task would be both time-consuming and error-prone if it weren't for the Pack and Go tool. The Pack and Go tool is not new, but it is important and should be a part of the arsenal in your work dynamic. The tool allows you to automatically search for all the associated design files and other linked files, based on the search paths that are established in your Project File(.ipj). A client contacted me several weeks ago, asking for the steps on how to use Pack and Go, so I've decided to share the outline i created. I've outlined the steps below, on how to use this great tool. So, the next time you need to gather all your files, follow these steps for success.
- First, open either a drawing file or an assembly file that belongs to the project that you need to gather. Next, click on the Inventor Application Icon, then hover over the Save As command, or click on the carrot to display the Save As Options dialog box. Select Pack and Go.
In the Pack and Go dialog box, follow the instructions listed below that correspond to the sequence numbers in the image.
- Select the Destination Folder where you want to save your files to. The Desktop is always a good option. Be sure to create a folder in which to place the files by selecting Make New Folder.
- Click the Search Now button to allow Inventor to find and list the referenced file(s). The files found will be listed right below the Search Now button, and also in the Files Found panel at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Optionally, if there are other referenced files that you want to be included, Click the Search Now button in the Search for referencing files panel.
- Once the files are found, click the Add button in the Pack and Go Referencing Files Found dialog box.
- Click Start. Make sure to select the appropriate options to the left.
- When the progress meter finishes, you can click Done.
Go to the Desktop to locate the file folder. This file can be zipped in order to facilitate compressed file sizes. Email the zipped folder.