Project Sync is a functionality that is available in Vault Professional, and allows a company to easily share and synchronize specific data to project team members who reside outside of the network firewall of the hosted Vault. When you subscribe to Vault Professional or if you already own it with a maintenance plan, one of the benefits is free access to Autodesk Buzzsaw. Within Vault, Project Sync is used to configure which data is shared, and when synchronization occurs with your Buzzsaw site. Users can access project data from local workstations, the cloud, and mobile devices.
"Ok, so how do I get this cool functionality?", you ask. Well, that's what this post is all about, so let's get started.
Step 1 - Installation
Project Sync is not installed by default when installing the Vault Professional (Client), so it must specifically be enabled during the install. In the setup dialog, select Project Sync in the configuration window to have it installed. If you've already installed Vault without also selecting Project Sync, you can modify the installation through the Windows Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, select Uninstall a Program.
- In the programs list, right click on the Vault Professional (Client), and select Uninstall/Change.
- In the resulting dialog box, select Add or Remove features.
- In the Add or Remove Features dialog box, select Project Sync, then select Update.
Step 2 - Enable Project Sync
- Launch the Vault client and login as an administrator (administrator role is required to enable Project Sync). Click on the Tools tab, then Project Sync Settings...
- In the Project Sync Settings dialog box, click the checkbox Enable Project Sync.
Finally, the Project Sync functionality depends on the Vault Job Processor to pull jobs from the Job Server queue, therefore, the Job Server must be enabled. To do this, you must be logged in as an administrator.
- In the Vault Client, select the Tools menu tab, hover your mouse over Administration. In the expanded menu, select Global Settings.
- Next, click on the Integrations tab, and then click the checkbox to enable the Job Server.
Congratulations! You have now installed and enabled Project Sync. The next steps (in part 2) detail configuring project sync to work with Buzzsaw. Stay tuned!