There are times in the MEP modeling industry that we need to create a structural model and CADmep is a very good tool for this. So let’s take a look at how we can quickly and efficiently build our structural model. (For this example you will need a 2D structural drawing)
- Open your 2D structural drawing
- Click on the Polyline 3D Fill button
- Select the line you wish to fill (does not need to be a polyline can be a standard line)
- The “Fill Start Options” dialog box will open
- In the first box select your structural steel service
- In the second box set your section (optional)
- Select the appropriate size (W16x26 in this example)
- Click on the offset button and select how you would like it to fill (I generally select “Top” so that when I choose my elevation it will be top of steel)
- Click on the elevation button and set your elevation
- Click on the OK button
- Select all additional lines in the drawing that represent that same size beam and hit enter when finished.
Additional trick: Add exterior insulation to the beams to represent fireproof coating. That way you can detect clashes with the fireproofing.